Access and Opportunity
Every month, more than 2,500 youth and families rely on the Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa to help them deal with the difficult issues they face — issues like poverty, abuse, family violence, depression, addiction and homelessness. With 350 caring professionals operating from 20 locations across Ottawa, we are equipped to deal with the breadth and complexity of these issues.
We’ve been helping local youth find their strength, determination and ways to accomplish their dreams since 1960, and we’ve set out an ambitious strategy to continue to meet the growing need for our programs in the areas of community service, mental health, youth engagement, employment and youth justice.
- Each year, more than 1,200 youth rely on us to help them access and maintain the most basic needs — food, shelter and safety
- In just one year, the Young Women’s and Young Men’s shelters provided 20,000 individual nights of shelter for youth in need of a safe place to stay
- Over 80% of youth served by our Housing and Trusteeship Program avoid becoming homeless after working with our staff on life‑skills, conflict resolution, budgeting and housing
- Thousands of Ottawa youth struggling with mental health challenges come to us for help each year
- With our 24‑hour Crisis Line and our Mobile Crisis and Residential Crisis Unit, we’re able to support youth and families at their most critical and vulnerable times
- Engaging youth in our organization and in civic life helps them find their power within
- By participating in YSB’s youth advisory committees, young people build leadership skills and become involved in their communities
- Last year, we provided opportunities for youth voice within YSB through 31 training workshops, 5 youth events, 6 panel presentations, 144 youth advisory meetings, 11 Info and Health Fairs, 16 forums and conferences, and 25 community meetings
- We have helped thousands of young people gain valuable work experience and job placements
- Our Employment Services report an impressive 79% success rate for young people accessing services and finding work
- Every day we provide specialized support to youth in custody to help them learn new skills and make positive choices
- We provide anger management and community re-integration counselling to youth in custody